Meeting 2 - December 16, 2020 - 5:00-7:00
5:00 Review from last meeting/meet new members
Teaching Tolerance - Good Resource - M. Collins
WSH Staff Meeting - J. Esper
Guitar - Traverse Connect
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging Committee is working to develop a conference in March.
Guitar - E3 group has BIPOC training opportunities available.
Marshall - Promoting equity - came from Jason Carmien
5:15 Discussion - What is the purpose of school?
Safe,supportive- kids are at school a lot… have to be safe.
What is equity in terms of education?
Danger in using the term opportunity… can be a cop out. Opportunity doesn’t mean offering the same thing. If we have data that says certain kids need certain things, we need to ensure that kids get that… not give them the opportunity. Same idea with higher students - students who may not know that those exist need to know that they exist so that they can take advantage of them. We should track which elementary schools high school athletes come from.
Each student should get what they need.
Curriculum advocates for all students… looking at what we’re doing and modifying so that all students are represented.
What is inclusion in terms of education?
“Stamped” - from EMS - idea of assimilation and when that happens you sometimes lose your identity. So inclusion is NOT assimilation. Inclusion is celebrating differences. Everyone is included and celebrated. Everyone has a voice. All people are included as they are.
Whiteness is a social construct… and some of those things that are whiteness might make us think that they are misbehaving.
It’s up to the individual if they feel included… We need to ask that question to our students.
What challenges exist in TCAPS?
Lack of diversity in staffing. We try to recruit diverse teachers, but our community isn’t so diverse. Makes it difficult.
Need training. May not be that people don’t want to talk about it. How do we support teachers to have conversations with students.
Creating safety language… it has to be safe to
What are the most important things our group can do?
● Diversification of curriculum
● Leaning into uncomfortable conversations
● Parent communication component
● Encourage teacher, student, parent to think and analyze critically.
● Embrace the ART of feeling uncomfortable to have those conversations.
● Purposeful with students and supported by administration.
● Students developing quality constructive thinking, analytical thinking,
● critical consumer of information. Give them a voice.
● System supports (intentional and process in place)
● Communication system and structures/Framework seek to understand
● Active listening of challenges
5:55 Jigsaw Chalk Talks - Small Groups 6:10 Present findings
6:30 Group Task - Define equity as we see it. Can this be our group’s anchor/vision?
6:50 Next Steps