Check In Meeting - April 30, 2021
Attendance: Biller, Collins, , Jayne, Luyt, Maltby-Skodack, Perthes, Phillips, Richardson, Burden, Phillips, Sullivan
● Secondary statement from Dr. VanWagoner was shared with students via announcements and email on 4/28.
● Elementary statement from Dr. VanWagoner was read to students via announcements on 4/28.
● Public comments at BOE meeting - 4/26
● Board Resolution Project Sped Up - met for 2nd time on 4/29 - will send out to Task Force for review upon completion - Subcommittee made up of Phillips, Biller, Collins, Luyt, Guitar, Bird
● 4/29 - Task Force Subcommittee (Collins, Biller, Phillips, Esper, Houghton) met with E3 (Collins, Lockhart, Bird, etc) and NorthED (TBAISD - Collins, Olson, Troy) to discuss E3 Call to Action AND what we have been doing proactively - meetings to continue
● Consultation meeting established with Justice Leaders Collaborative (Campbell, Meyers, Griffin) and HS principals - 4/30
● Formal update (see slides 3-8) of Task Force work added to Board Curriculum Committee meeting for 5/3 (4:00)
Diane Burden - student voice - what we don’t need is a bunch of white people reacting and whatever we come up with may go away.
Marshall - make sure to include BIPOC voice in ideas… reach out
Andy - encourage group to watch BOE video to listen to public comments AJ - wants to know what supports there are for victims (and perpetrators)
Ali - Can we help create, educate, support with a campaign around “What to do, what to say, when you hear hate speech and racist comments?” Also, talking points for parents, families, peers?
- Student body needs to see that adults are comfortable talking about it.
Created a student statement from NHS/student senate West Student Statement
Marshall - validating that the youth want to talk about, but the adults are barriers when we are not comfortable or able to talk about it -- find out the why and then help address the issues
- Hears comments contradictory, or making fun of Snapchat incident… hardest part is teachers not knowing what to do about it, or (pretending?) not to hear it.
Shaina - Can we create talking points for when you hear hate speech OR when events like Snapchat happen…